Friday 10 February 2012

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.  ~Agnes Repplier

How often do you find yourself saying "well if only they would do this, if only they would say this, if only......" there are too many" if only's" in life. 

I am learning that you can't worry about the if only's...one big one for me is accepting that it is not up to someone else to make me happy. I have high expectations on what happines is and when I don't see actions in other people I get frustrated. A compliment, a kind word or an act of compassion or empathy goes such a long way.  I have decided that I am in control of my own happiness and I can't/shouldn't look to someone else to act in a certain way or say certain things in order to bring the happiness. It is easier said than done but I truly believe that I will be blessed in so many ways if I take control of my person and my happiness. Why should I worry about what someone else wants to do or doesn't want to do...if I want to do it then I am going to do it. Like my Mother says "you only have one chance at this thing called life" and why should we waste any precious moment wishing someone else could do something or say something to make us happy. We are in charge....we are the master of our own domain!   


Try to make at least one person happy every day, and then in ten years you may have made three thousand, six hundred and fifty persons happy, or brightened a small town by your contribution to the fund of general enjoyment. ~Sidney Smith

As I go through all kinds of feelings and experiences in my journey through life -- delight, surprise, chagrin, dismay -- I hold this question as a guiding light: "What do I really need right now to be happy?" What I come to over and over again is that only qualities as vast and deep as love, connection and kindness will really make me happy in any sort of enduring way. ~- Sharon Salzberg

No comments:

Post a Comment