Wednesday 22 August 2012

At the right moment

I was recently in a bookstore with my sister in law Cheryl while vacationing in Invermere, B.C. We were each looking for specific books for our own specific life journeys. I saw a book that I read everyday and recommended it to Cheryl. As I was explaining it to her a woman walked by and said "I have that book, it is fabulous and it seems to always pertain to the moment in which I am reading it".

The book is called "The Book of Awakening"  - Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have...written by Mark Nepo. In the Foreword of the book it says "Mark had cancer, and it shook him awake. His desent into illness gave birth to an astonishing mindfulness. Now he invites us to use his eyes and heart to see and feel how awake our being alive can be. Having survived his cancer, Mark is grateful simply to breathe. But more than gratefulness he brings wisdom, clarity, kindness, and a passionate enthusiasm for sucking the marrow out of moments, out of the bones of time.

I am going to share today's excerpt as it pertains to this moment in time for me and what I have recently been writing about.

"A friend was traveling around Europe, training from city to city. Despite her plans, her interest drew her in different directions, and a path unfolded that she couldn't have foreseen. Each point of discovery led to the next, as if some logic out of view were guiding her. During this phase of her journey, though she often wasn't sure where she was, she never felt lost. It was when she needed to arrive at a certain station at a certain time that she felt she was off course, astray, and at a fringe of where she was supposed to be. 
All this led her to realize that the more narrow her intentions on any one given day, the more she felt behind, late, and lost. In contrast, the wider her net of designs, the more often she felt a sense of discovery. Regardless of where she had to be, it seemed that the more open to possibility and change she was, the more she felt like every moment she came upon was holding a treasure she was supposed to find.
Of course, there will always be times that we need to find our very precise way. But more often than not, our image of a destination is only a starting point that we cling to needlessly. When we can free up our sense of needing to arrive in a certain place, we lessen the weight of being lost. And once, beneath arriving and beneath our fear of failing to arrive, the real journey begins."

This basically sums up me at this moment. I am going to open my heart completely....I am going to write, and write and write....perhaps create some new jewelry or even paint...I am going to do what feels right at the moment. I trust and have faith in the path that has been quietly chosen for me. I will discover it for myself when I am meant to.  




No comments:

Post a Comment